Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Right now I'm listening to the neighbor kid ride his snowmobile back and forth, back and forth across the lawn. He goes to one end, sort of idles as he turns around, then floors it back to hit the piles of snow left from clearing the driveway. So it kind of sounds like this: buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz, VVVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, buzz-buzz-buzz. I've never understood owning snowmobiles in town. It's like the snowmobiling equivalent of an above-ground pool.

I finally broke down and listened to MGMT. I didn't hate it, but I'm not crapping my pants over it, either. The only song I might go out of my way to listen to is "Electric Feel." In their defense, though, I still wouldn't call them the most overrated band of 2008. How could that honor go to anyone but Fleet Foxes?

I don't want to make this blog a place for casting aspersions, however (excepting customs officers and assholes on snowmobiles), so here, something I actually liked: I recently heard and very much enjoyed a band called the Soft Pack (formerly the Muslims). They sound like a grab bag of New York bands, but maybe the easiest comparisons to make (if you want to limit a band to who they sound like, which I apparently do) are the Strokes and the Modern Lovers. I've posted a song here, and somebody else posted a better description and the whole album here.

1 comment:

Emily said...

The VROOM! does look pretty great.