Thursday, January 15, 2009

Number One Song After Number One Song

I've been spending some time listening to Ben Folds' cover of "Bitches ain't Shit" lately. I kind of hate this song for all the reasons I'm about to mention. Most of the issues revolve around Folds being a straight, white, male whose audience consists mostly of straight, white, males.

So the first problem is that the song is terribly misogynistic, and I get that he's performing it ironically, but because of who he is and who his audience is, laughing at misogyny could too easily turn into laughing with it. I'm also bothered that he uses the n-word for similar reasons.

Another issue is that, while his intention might be to say, "Look, I'm a short, nerdy, balding, white dude, but I also know a thing or two about hip-hop," what the message actually seems to be, again because of his audience, is, "Look at how ridiculous black people are. Listen to the crazy stuff they're saying."

Also, he totally cuts out Dat N- Daz's verse.

But I do appreciate the way he turns the song into a narrative with musical cues to punctuate the emotional climax, and he does give it a good melody. I was going to post the song on Tumblr, but won't because I think I'd be guilty of all the same things I'm accusing him of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but clearly, if YOU'RE listening to the song, it's reaching a percentage of the right audience.

Playswith Squirrels said...

Is that some kind of a joke?