Monday, January 19, 2009

Evidently I'm a glutton for punishment, because I bothered to watch the Real World again. The mormon and the marine are still assholes (go figure), but the mormon did confront the gay dolphin trainer because of his anti-immigrant tirade, which is sort of respectable. I say sort of because he ended his confessional about the argument with a bout of hypocrisy, saying something about not judging people because of difference when that's what he's done consistently for two episodes, only substitute immigrants for queer people.

Anyway, to get back to the dolphin trainer, his rant really pissed me off for a lot of reasons, but especially because his parents are immigrants. He tried to use that fact to justify his comments, but if anything it should make him sympathetic, not serve as a justification for intolerance. I'm going to use the fact that my grandparents were immigrants to justify saying that I can't tolerate it when children and grandchildren of immigrants take an attitude like this d-bag.

I think it's inevitable that my rants about the Real World (and I'm probably going to keep watching) will end by talking about how people treat the trans girl. I think it's good that when people find out, they want to learn more, but it always devolves into some patronizing shit about how they want to be a support system while she finds herself. She seems to have a much better idea of who she is than most anybody on the show.

Anyway, blah blah blah.

No comments: