Sunday, January 4, 2009

Generally speaking, the worst part of any trip I take to Canada is coming back into the U.S. Today was probably the worst yet. Officer Vittron (I think that was his name) is a real asshole. After asking a thousand accusatory questions and clearly not believing my answers, he spent ten minutes searching the trunk, then when he found a copy of Discipline and Punish, he asked me another series of accusatory questions about the book. Apparently owning a book by Foucault constitutes a threat to national security. Mostly I think he was mad at me because he doesn't know who Foucault is. I want to file a complaint, but I think the actual result of that is he would be congratulated for being a dick, and I would get hassled like that every time.

7 comments:

AdrienneH said...

Okay, on some level though, being hassled about a Foucault book in your trunk is kinda cool. Not really bad-ass, but mildly satisfying. Right?

Anonymous said...

I really want specifics on his 'accusatory' questions!

Playswith Squirrels said...

Adrienne: I always thought it would be satisfying until this happened. Then it was just frustrating and a little scary because I didn't know what he might try to accuse me of. Also, I don't know if he made a note of it so that every time I go through, they'll think I'm some kind of subversive. But yeah, a little satisfying.

Molly: Lots of really specific questions about Emily, but with a tone that implied he wouldn't believe me whatever I said.

Anonymous said...

wait like, "what bra size does she wear? Does she LOOK Canadian? Do you plan to MARRY HER? Does her MOTHER know she's dating you? Does she skip meals? Loofah or washcloth? Chocolate or vanilla?!!"

Playswith Squirrels said...

All of those.

Christine Marie said...

wow...border guards never cease to amaze me. sorry to hear you had to go through that richard. i think you're right about the guard just being choked that he didn't know who foucault is. *sigh* I'm enjoying reading your blog btw (it sure beats some of the reading I *should* be doing for classes...

Playswith Squirrels said...

Christine! I miss you. I hope your program is going well.