Friday, January 23, 2009

My Ph.D. (and one M.A.) applications are in the mail. It's a huge weight off my shoulders, immediately replaced with another as I wait (ha) to hear back.

And now (apologies in advance), I'd like to talk about politics very briefly. What I want to say is that what bothers me most about conservative groups (I'm thinking specifically pro-lifers, but this could easily carry over to other issues) is that, whereas liberals would like people to be able to make decisions based on their own moral codes, these groups insist that everyone be governed by the group's own morals regardless of whether or not the majority of the population agrees with them. Anyway, everyone reading this probably already gets this point, and the people who need to hear this aren't going to listen.

On a related note, would it be in bad taste/appropriating to make a t-shirt that says "keep your god off my uterus?"

Unrelated, if you have five minutes, you should listen to this song by the Middle East on my music blog. It's just such a nice song.

UPDATE: I want to talk about politics one more time, quickly. I just read that residents of Nashville voted down a proposition to make English the official language of all government business in the city. This proposition, and similar propositions that have been popping up throughout the U.S. are discriminatory, xenophobic, racist, I could go on, but I won't, and I say kudos to those who voted against it. Proponents say it would be incentive to learn English, but really what it would do is deny services to people who desperately need them. I assume supporters would argue that learning English is the first step to elevating one's position in life, but this of course ignores the structural inequalities that oppress immigrant and ethnic and otherwise minority populations. Let's not forget that black people, queer people, and even women can already speak English, yet they're still marginalized.

2 comments:

AdrienneH said...

okay, about your point about politics, I see what your saying, but I don't think liberals always realize how dogmatic they can be in regards to their own ideological positions. They like to think they don't impose their beliefs on others, but they kinda do a lot of the time. (Take last year's "childhood" class for instance.) I kind of think it's impossible hold any kind of beliefs (religious, political or otherwise)without universalizing them at some point, which means you are, unwittingly, impinging on someone else's beliefs. Liberals love to believe that everyone's differences are reconcilable, but that assumption is based on particular ideology position. Anyway... just a pet peeve I've always had.

Playswith Squirrels said...

I'll concede that point. It's hard to hold any strong beliefs without imposing them on others.

I guess what I'm thinking of more so are conservative groups (anti-abortion groups, groups that oppose gay marriage (or gay rights, generally), etc.) that push for laws to keep people from doing things based on the group's moral codes. These laws have a direct impact on the lives of people who don't share the same beliefs. In these instances, it doesn't really work the same way in reverse. People who follow these moral codes can still choose not to have abortions. ...or not marry gays, I guess.

So yes, it is problematic to believe that other people should live by your own ideological positions (and I'll admit to doing this), but it's the issue of passing things into law that I'm especially concerned with.

I don't know, I'm sure there are counter examples, but these are the issues I've been thinking about a lot.