Friday, February 27, 2009

I just found out I've been accepted into the University of Western Ontario's PhD in Media Studies. So it looks like I'll be spending the next four years of my life in sunny London, Ontario. Starting in September, that is.

In the meantime, I will be delivering sub sandwiches for the same chain I worked for prior to earning my MA. Except that now I'm driving to the location that's 15 or 20 miles away, rather than the one across the street. Because I went back to the one across the street and got fired in a matter of weeks. It's a pretty lame gig, but I spend most of the day in my car listening to music, and they pay me in money, so it could be worse.

Everybody there seems nice enough, but there's one dude I feel conflicted about. He used to be a marine (as the stickers on his sport utility vehicle will let you know), but now he delivers sandwiches in the morning, then proceeds to deliver pizzas in the evening. Sometimes I start to think it's sad that he went from serving his country--which is supposedly brave or heroic or whatever--to serving fast food, but then I remember that I'm a pacifist and I don't believe in the idea of nations, so the notion of fighting for your country is pretty meaningless to me. Maybe I just think it's sad that the armed forces lure people in with promises of a better life, but don't make good on those promises.

3 comments:

Mary said...

First of all, it's so awesome that you're going to be living in a place called 'London', and second of all, I'm pretty sure that that guy could have a better life than delivering food all day, if he wanted one. Or maybe he loves delivering food. Don't feel sorry for people unless you know their whole story, Richard.

Unknown said...

what if canada and the united states went to war and then both sides wanted you to be in their army? WHAT THEN!?! delivering sandwiches would take on a whole new meaning.

Anonymous said...

party at james tonight!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3312625116_3235758ac9_o.png